Irfan Nooruddin is Associate Professor in the School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University, and a member of the Lokniti Network, a Research Program of the CSDS. In 2011 he published Coalition Politics and Economic Development (Cambridge University Press). With Pradeep Chhibber, he has also written several articles on Indian electoral politics.
Since 2007, Irfan has been a resource person for Lokniti’s Summer School in Quantitative Methods in Political Science.
Coalition Politics and Economic Development: Credibility and the Strength of Weak Governments, Cambridge University Press, January 2011.
Articles in Edited Volume
- (with Sarah Wilson Sokhey) “Credible Certifcation of Child Labor Free Production”, in Peter Gourevitch, David A. Lake, and Janice Gross Stein (eds), The Credibility of Transnational NGOs: When Virtue is Not Enough, pp. 62-85, Cambridge University Press.2012
- (with Thomas E. Flores) “Credible Commitment in Post-Conflict Recovery”, in Christopher Coyne and Rachel Mathers (eds), Handbook on the Political Economy of War, pp. 474-497, Edward Elgar. 2011
- (with James Raymond Vreeland). “The Effect of IMF Programs on Public Wages and Salaries.” In Rorden Wilkinson and Jennifer Clapp (eds), Global Governance, Poverty, and Inequality, pp. 90-111, Routledge. 2010.
- (with Pradeep Chhibber) “Party Competition and Fragmentation in Indian National Elections: 1957-1998”, In Ramashray Roy and Paul Wallace (eds), Indian Politics and the 1998 Elections: Regionalism, Hindutva, and State Politics, Sage. 2000
- Flores, Thomas Edward, and Irfan Nooruddin. 2012. “The Effect of Elections on Post-Conflict Peace and Reconstruction.”Journal of Politics 74 (2): 558-570.
- McDaniel, Eric L., Irfan Nooruddin, and Allyson F. Shortle. 2011. “Divine Boundaries: How Religion Shapes Citizens’ Attitudes Towards Immigrants.” American Politics Research 39 (1): 205-233.
- Jamal, Amaney, and Irfan Nooruddin. 2010. “The Democratic Utility of Trust: A Cross-National Analysis.” Journal of Politics, 72 (1): 45-59.
- Nooruddin, Irfan, and Pradeep Chhibber. 2008. “Unstable Politics: Electoral Volatility in the Indian States.” Comparative Political Studies, 41 (8, August): 1069-1081.
- Nooruddin, Irfan. 2007. “Blind Justice: ‘Seeing’ Race and Gender in Cases of Violent Crime.” Politics & Gender, 3 (3): 321-348.
- Nooruddin, Irfan, and Joel W. Simmons. 2006. “The Politics of Hard Choices: IMF Programs and Government Spending.” International Organization, 60 (4, Fall): 1001-1033.
- Chhibber, Pradeep, and Irfan Nooruddin. 2004. “Do Party Systems Count? The Number of Parties and Government Performance in the Indian States.”Comparative Political Studies, 37 (2, March): 152-187.