D.L. Sheth is Honorary Senior Fellow at the Centre for the Study of Developing Societies (CSDS). He served as the director of CSDS from 1984 to 1987. Professor Sheth has been the Editor of the journal Alternatives: Global, Local, Political since 1986. He was the founder director of Lokayan a Project on Development, Decentralization and Democracy (1980-82) and Chair Person for the terms 1983-85, 1988-90 and 1992-94. He was appointed to the National Commission for Backward Classes as a Social Scientist member (1993-96) and served a president of Delhi Peoples Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL).
Professor Sheth joined the Centre for the Study of Developing Societies in 1964 prior to which he was Lecturer in the Faculty of Social Work at MSU, Baroda. He was Project Director & Co-Investigator for the project on International Studies of Values and Politics (1965-69). The International Social Science Research Council sponsored the same. The project undertook a comparative study of local leadership across four nations: India, Poland, U.S.A. and Yugoslavia. He was also a member of the Board of Consultants, Comparative Political Studies, (1972-78) and a member of the Planning Commission Task Force on Family Planning in 1973. Professor DL Sheth was Charles Wallace Visiting Fellow to the University of Hull U.K. in Summer, 1988 and Visiting Professor to the International University of Japan (IUJ), Spring Semester, 1989.
Professor Sheths broad area of interest has been Political Sociology and Comparative Politics, Politics of Globalisation and Global Governance, Caste, New Social Movements and Politics of Social Stratification. Professor Sheths current work is focused on political theory of caste, making of the middle class, New socio-cultural formations and the Nation-State, Globalisation and the Future of Indian Democracy?, Issues of Global Governance, Study of social policies with a focus on Reservations/Affirmative Action and Minority Rights. He has contributed to the 2004 Human Development Report on Cultural Liberty in Todays Diverse World.
Articles in Professional / Refereed journals
- "Globalization and the New Politics of Micro-Movements", Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. XXXIV, No. 1, January 3, 2004.
- "Caste, Ethnicity and Exclusion in South Asia", a background paper prepared for the UNDP, Human Development Report 2004.
- Khote Sabit ho Rahe he Chhote Sardar (in Hindi), Rashtirya Sahara-Hastakshep, September 9, 2002.
- Globalization and the Future of Democracy in Denouement (special number on A Decade of Globalization) vol. 12, June 2002.
- Ram Bhakton ko Dena Hoga Chaudah baras ka Vanvas (in Hindi), Rashtirya Sahara-Hastakshep, April 13, 2002.
- Politics of Communal Polarisation: A Precursor to Gujarat Carnage, Manushi,No. 129, 2002.
- Gujarat Dango ko Samajhne ke Liye Hastakshape (in Hindi), Rashtriya Sahara, March 9, 2002.
- Satahi Dharm Nirpekshata ka Hashr, Jansatta (in Hindi), May 19, 2001.
- Caste in the Mirror of Race, Seminar, 508, December 2001.
- "Secularization of Caste and the Making of New Middle Class", Economic and Political Weekly, Nos. 34-35, Vol. 34, August 21-28, 1999.
- Globalisation and the Grassroots Movements, Seminar, Annual Number, 473, January 1999.
- Democracy and Globalization in India: Post Cold War Discourse, The Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, (540), July 1995.
Articles in Edited Volumes
- Poverty and Development, in Ponna Wignaraja (ed.), Articulating a Coherent Development Alternative for South Asia (forthcoming).
- Swadhyaya: Recovery of Self and Making of a Community in Rajiv Vora, ed., Swadhyaya: An Overview (forthcoming)
- "The Crisis of Political Authority" in Rajendra Vora & Suhas Palshikar (eds.), Indian Democracy: Meanings and Practices, Sage, Delhi, 2004.
- "Growth of Communal Polarization in Gujarat: The Making of a Hindutva Laboratory?" in Sandeep Pendse (ed.), Lessons from Gujarat, Vikas Adhyayan Kendra, Mumbai 2003.
- Expectations as a Measure of Performance: Dilemmas Facing the Voluntary Sector in Anuradha Maharishi and Rasna Dhillon (eds.), A Common Cause: NGOs and Civil Society, (National Foundation for India, 2002.)
- Gair Daliton ki Nazar Mein Dalit: Vigyanik aur Nirapeksh Drishti ki Samasya (in Hindi), in Abhay Kumar Dubey (ed.), Adhunikta ke Aaeene Mein Dalit, Vani Prakashan, Delhi, 2002, pp. 106-194.
- (with Vijay Pratap and Ritu Priya) Making Institutions Compatible with Southern Movements' Aspirations for a Democratic Order: A Minimalist Pespective in Leena Rikkila and Katarina Sehm Potomaki (eds.), From a Global Market Place to Political Spaces: NIGD working paper 1/2002, Hakapaino, Helsinki, Finland-2002.
- Micromovimentos na India: para Uma Nova Politica de democracia participative (in Portugese), in Boaventura de Sousa Santos (ed.), Democratizar A Democracia: os Caminhos Da Democracia Participativa, (Civilizcao Brazileria, Rio de Janerio 2002.
- Nae Madhyavarg ka Uday: Jati Vyavastha, Varg-Rachna aur Loktantrik Rajneeti (in Hindi), Abhay Kumar Dube (ed.) in Lok Tantra ke Sat Adhyay, Vani Prakshan 2002, pp. 91-119.
- Caste and Secularization Process in India, in Peter R. Desouza (ed.), Contemporary India-Transitions, New Delhi: Sage, 2000.
- (ed. with Gurpreet Mahajan), Minority Identities and the Nation State, New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 1999.
- (ed. with Ashis Nandy), The Multiverse of Democracy: (New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 1996).
- (ed.), Citizens and Parties: Aspects of Competitive Politics in India (New Delhi: Allied, 1975).
- (with others), Values and the Active Community (Glencoe: Free Press, 1971).
Monographs, Reports and Occasional Papers
- Micromovements and Participative Democracy, paper presented at the University of Coimbra, Portugal, November 23, 2000.