CSDS, 29 Rajpur Road,Civil Lines, New Delhi
Research Fellow, Centre for the Study of Developing Societies, Delhi (1963-1972)
Visiting Professor: University of Chicago, Illinois, USA. Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, M.S. University of Baroda, Vadodara, S.G. University, Surat
Chairman, Study Group of Migrant Labour, (1991) National Commission on Rural Development. Ministry of Labour, Government of India. Member, Task Force on Educational Development of Scheduled Castes, Ministry of Human Resources, Government of India, 2012
1. (With Others) Untouchability in Rural India, Delhi: Sage, 2006.
2. (With others) Ethical Guidelines for Social Science Research in Health Bombay: Chehat 2000)
3. Public Health and Urban Development: The Study of Surat Plague New Delhi: Sage Publications, 1997
4. Social Movements in India: A Review of Literature. Delhi: Sage Publications. 1990. Revised enlarged edition 2004.
5. Economic Differentiations and Tribal Identity. Delhi: Ajanta Books International. 1984.
6. (With HR Chaturvedi), Gandhian Approach to Rural Development. Delhi: Ajanta Books International. 1983.
7. Minorities and Nation Building: A Case of Muslims and Scheduled Tribes in India. Varanasi: Banaras Hindu University 1983.
8. Protest Movements in Two Indian States ‑ Study of Gujarat and Bihar Movements. Delhi: Ajanta Books International 1977.
9. Caste Association and Political Process in Gujarat. Bombay: Popular Prakashan. 1975.
10. Politics of Scheduled Castes and Tribes. Bombay: Vora Publishing House. 1975.
1. (With Mario Rutten and Hein Streefkerk) Development AND Deprivation in Gujarat. Delhi: Sage Publications. 2002.
2. Caste and Democratic Politics in India. Delhi Permanent Black, 2002
3. (With D.C. Sah) Land Reforms in Western India. Delhi: Sage Publications, 2002.
4. Social Movements and the State. Delhi: Sage publications, 2002.
5. Dalit Identity and Politics, Delhi, Sage Publications. 2001
6. Dalit and the State Delhi: Concept Publications. 2001
7. Social Justice: A Dialogue. Jaipur: Rawat Publications, 1998.
8. Social Transformation: I.P. Desai Commemoration Volume. Jaipur: Rawat Publishers, 1997.
9. Capitalist Development in India: Critical Essays: A Volume in Honour of Prof. A.R. Desai. Bombay: Popular Prakashan. 1990.
Published more than two hundred research papers in national and international journals and edited volumes.
Editor ‑ Arthat, Centre for Social Studies, Surat ‑ Gujarati Quarterly – (1981-2013).
Editorial Consultant ‑ Vigil India, Bangalore (1978‑1984 );
Sociological Bulletin (1979‑81);
ICSSR Journal of Abstracts and Reviews: Political Science: (1984‑ 86).
Editorial Advisor: Contribution to Indian Sociology (2007-2012 )
Editorial Advisor: Indian Journal of Political Science
Editorial Advisor: Indian Journal of Human Rights
Editorial Advisor: Studies in Indian Politics (2013-
1. Young social scientist, British Council. 1976-77. Visiting Scholar, SOAS, London
2. University Grants Commission National Award in Political Science 1998
3. `Hari Om Ashram Prerit Shri Chunilal Vajeram Reshamwala Trust Award' (1974‑78) for outstanding research work;
4. Fulbright Award under the United States Educational Foundation in India for the year 1984;
5. Award of VKRV Rao Prizes in Political Science Research for 1979 and 1980;
6. UGC National Lecturer for the year 1985‑86.